Monday, November 21, 2011

(today's zomby) AND MY LONGSTANDING GRUDGE AGAINST BILLY SQUIER!


So what do I have against Billy Squier? Simply this:

When I was in college, I had a roommate who was an unabashed Squier fan. In particular, he was enamored of Squier's biggest hit, "The Stroke," and would play it at a troubling volume at especially inconvenient times -- like early in the morning or after midnight on a school night. To this day, I can still remember the thunderous sound of "The Stroke" reverberating off the hopeless cinder-block walls of our dorm, and that memory still fills me with dread. Not one for confrontation, I passively enabled this unacceptable behavior. This same roommate was also quite fond of the television show Friends, and his enthusiasm was such that he would periodically inform me throughout the week how many days were left until the next new episode. ("Only two more days til Friends," he might say.) When the episodes themselves actually aired on Thursday nights, my roommate would watch them with the sound at a very low volume or turned off completely. He created his own soundtrack for the show by playing his stereo very loudly while commenting on the physical attributes of the actresses onscreen. Naturally, "The Stroke" was in heavy rotation during Friends.

If you would like to recreate my college dorm experience in the comfort of your own home, simply play the following two clips simultaneously. Mute the Friends clip and turn Billy Squier all the way up.